So then, setting aside my general hesitation to "semi-homebake", I half created/ half followed box directions and ended up with some delicious coconut cupcakes! I was still able to slip in "healthier" ingredients, like unsweetened coconut and sugar-free pudding without sacrificing any taste... my favorite thing to do!
Always reliable, my friends devoured the cupcakes in no time. Even the folks who claimed to dislike coconut set aside their hesitation and loved the sweet and subtle treat!
Semi-homemade. Fully delicious.
- 1 box white cake mix, and necessary components (eggs, oil, etc.)
- 2 tsp. coconut flavoring
- 1 cup shredded coconut (I used unsweetened)
- 1 16 oz. package of non-fat whipped cream
- 1 package sugar-free vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spread out shredded coconut evenly over foil-covered baking sheet. Toast in oven, watching closely, approximately 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Reset oven and prepare cake mix according to directions (I opted to use an additional egg white and increase liquids in lieu of whole eggs). Once cake mix is well combined, add 2 tsp. coconut flavoring and 2/3 cup toasted shredded coconut. Mix.
- Using a greased or lined cupcake tin, fill molds about 2/3 of the way. Bake according to box directions.
- While cupcakes are in the over, prepare frosting by combining whipped cream, contents of pudding package, and powdered sugar.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to thoroughly cool. Frost cupcakes with whipped cream mixture and top with remaining 1/3 cup toasted coconut. Enjoy!