Friday, September 18, 2009

Guacamole Inspired Egg Pizza!

Sometimes I get a small seed of a recipe idea into my head. There, for days, weeks, or even months it slowly grows, absorbing new flavors I experience, techniques I learn, and concepts I am intrigued by. After a while, the idea that began so modestly blooms into a glorious recipe I am ready to tackle!

Okay, so this is glamorizing the process a bit... for every time that my ideas come through there are a good two or three that are passed directly onto the trash. Most often this is a result of over-complicated ideas that build too much upon too much until the real goodness is lost somewhere between the refrigerator and plate. I mean, just ask Jack about that ol' beanstalk for a lesson in not letting things grow too much!

Fortunately, I am proud to say that my latest venture was of the "successful" bred. I've lately been obsessed with the vibrant flavors of lime. I think the fresh, citrus-y taste pairs so well with things ranging from sweet potatoes to the traditional guacamole. So then, I decided to combine the classic pairings of lime, tomatoes, onions, and cumin with my other current fixations of scrambled eggs and thin-crust pizza.

Okay, before I lose you, allow me to explain: The concept is fairly simple. Just take a tortilla, some classic scrambled eggs, and some vamped up ingredients... and what do you get?

Avocado-Free Scrambled Guacamole Pizza


Ingredients:
  • 1 whole wheat tortilla
  • 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tsp. lime juice, plus lime to garnish
  • 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1/4 tsp. cumin
  • 2 tbsp. Colby Jack cheese
Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush olive oil on both sides of tortilla. Place on foil-covered baking sheet in oven. Bake 3-4 minutes on both sides until lightly browned. Be cautious of air-bubbles, which may have to be popped with knife.
  • In meantime, beat 3 egg whites and 1 yolk together with cumin and a dash of water. In small greased skillet scramble the eggs on low-heat until just before desired consistency. Add tomatoes, onion, and lime juice. Finish scrambling eggs until desired consistency is reached (may be extra liquid from tomato and lime juice).
  • Remove baked tortilla from oven. Spread scrambled eggs over top of tortilla, reserving liquid. Top with cheese and bake in oven another 5 minutes.
  • Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly on wire rack, and enjoy!
I enjoyed the vibrant flavors in this light pizza! Made a great dinner, but would work equally well as a breakfast or brunch. Feel free to play around with the vegetables and leave suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment