Monday, October 19, 2009

Spiced and Simple Black Bean Burgers

Okay, there is no denying it: I have been neglecting my blog lately. Funny as it is, this isn't because of any inactivity in the kitchen. In fact, I have been cooking up as big a storm as ever... I'm having so much fun exploring all the new flavors of fall! However, I have been less than inspired to actually take pictures.

So then, this is my avowed recommitment to regularly updating my blog. I invite you to check back regularly; I hate to disappoint, so with more people to "let down" I'll be more disciplined to write! (:

One of my "go-to" dishes is a black bean burger. The patties are so easy to put together, and I almost always have the necessary ingredients on hand... If not, it is indication I REALLY need to make a visit to the store!

I often find the patties to be satisfying on their own with a side of vegetables. However, they can just as quickly be dressed up with a nice, toasted whole wheat bun, some lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc.

Another benefit to homemade black bean burgers is that I can control the spiciness. Some days I just need the perk of an extra splash of hot sauce; other days I am content with a more subtle flavor.

Spice it UP! Black Bean Burger...
a delicious alternative to turning up the thermostat!

Ingredients:
  • 1 15- to 16-oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/3 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/4 cup shredded carrots
  • 1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 tbsp. salsa
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
Directions:
  • Using fork, mash beans in a medium bowl.
  • Lightly saute onion and carrots in olive oil over high heat until just softened.
  • Mix the onions, carrots, bread crumbs, 2 tbsp. salsa, cumin, and hot pepper sauce with the mashed beans. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Using moistened hands, shape mix into four equal patties. Either cook in greased pan or under broiler on greased pan until lightly browned.
As mentioned, one of the great things about this recipe (besides how simple it is!) is that the spice can always be adjusted to individual taste. Likewise, feel free to use vegetables that are on hand. I often love to add in mushrooms for an extra "meatiness."

2 comments:

  1. Good Stuff!! I'm trying to eat healthy myself! Thanks for the info and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. may have to try that one out, sounds pretty good, and always looking for a good burger substitute.

    ReplyDelete