Monday, November 23, 2009

Quick "Orchard" Mix: A college student's breakfast fix!

It's amazing how a good breakfast really can make the entire day. I find it nearly impossible to be stressed out, pessimistic, or just plain grumpy if I manage to start off the day with something delectable!

Coming up with something tasty isn't too hard to do; I'm not very discerning when it comes to breakfast foods. I'm a devoted member of the pancake fan club. I love coming up with new oatmeal additions and toppings. I've even, after years of resistance, recently become slightly obsessed with eggs...

When it comes to breakfast the options are really unlimited. The only problem with breakfast just seems to be its unfortunate timing. Whose idea was it really to make the best meal of the day so early in the day? As a frequently sleep deprived college student it is often tempting to opt for sleep over a hearty breakfast.

95% of the time I am able to wake up with enough time set aside to prepare and adequately enjoy a good breakfast. But, for those other 5% of days, I need an easy breakfast solution that is still satisfying.

Now, I am quite certain I've come up with the perfect solution: My easy "Orchard" Breakfast. It is a ideal combination of fruit, protein, and carbohydrates... sure to give me enough energy to tackle whatever my day has in store!

One of the best parts about this "recipe" is that it is quite adaptable. I just throw in whatever frozen fruit sounds appetizing. Sometimes I add flax seeds, other times I simply stick to peanut butter. No matter what exact combination I go with, the basic formula never fails.

Easy "Orchard" Recipe...
because breakfast is the most important meal of the day!

OK, so it doesn't look too pretty... but, man, is it tasty!

"Formula":
  • 1/8 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 tbsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, or mixed!)
  • 1 diced apple
  • Protein: 1/2 tbsp peanut butter (I prefer chunky) or 1 tsp. flax seeds... or both!
Directions:
  • Mix together oatmeal, milk, cinnamon, and frozen fruit in a bowl. Microwave for approximately three minutes.
  • Stir together cooked oatmeal/fruit with apples and microwave for another minute.
  • Add in protein, mix again, enjoy... and head out for a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment